[Answer in 150 Words]
Brief Introduction about UNESCO
- UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific, and Cultural Organisation) is a specialized agency of the United Nations (UN), established in 1945.
- At present, it has 193 member states working towards its objectives and mandates.
- Its mandate is to contribute to peace and security by promoting international collaboration through educational, scientific, and cultural reforms.
- Such reforms are meant to increase universal respect for justice, the rule of law, and human rights along with fundamental freedom.
- The reforms are also meant to eradicate poverty and bring about sustainable development in line with SDG 2030.
- UNESCO’s significance can be emphasized in light of rise in new forms of intolerance, rejection of scientific facts and threats to freedom of expression.
- Thus UNESCO reaffirms several humanist missions to curb above threats through, Education for All Global Monitoring Report, World Heritage Sites, MAB Progamme, International Progamme for development of Communication, etc.
- FINANCIAL CRISIS
- In light of recent withdrawal of membership by US and Israel, Unesco’s finances have taken a severe blow. It is to be noted that its 2017 budget was about half of its 2012 budget
- Projects and activities are supervised by numerous division of regional and field offices within Unesco. However, there is absence of coordination mechanism directly impacting its functioning.
- ABSENCE OF CLARITY IN MANDATE
- Positive results of Unesco progammes can be seen is field of education, disaster management like flood risk management in Pakistan, safeguarding of intangible cultural heritage sites, etc
- However, despite all this, Unesco’s broad mandate with policy level work has made it difficult to clearly identify goals and results.
- Thus, clarity of its mandate with clearly drawn goals, and functions needs to ensures alongwith vertical and horizontal coordination across various field offices within UNESCO.
- Further, some funding mechanism with penalization for defaulters needs to be put in place to ensure UNESCO remains safe from a financial crisis