Q.Analyze the role of women in freedom struggle of India. [Answer in 150 Words]
- …. The xyz issue can be analyzed in terms of the contributions made during different phases …
- … further analysis depicts …..
- … factors behind some xyz issue can be analyzed in the light of the recommendations of abc report / xyz committee..
- Based on the analysis, it can be said that…….
The actual choice of words will depend upon the type of question being asked and the approach that the aspirant choses to follow.
Appreciate The Role Of Women
- The history of Indian Freedom Struggle would be incomplete without mentioning the contributions of women.
- The sacrifice made by the women of India occupies an important place in India’s journey towards independence.
- The role of women in freedom struggle of India can be analyzed in the light of the contributions made by them during different phases of the nationalist movement; which are as follows:
Pre Congress Phase
- The 19th century India during pre congress phase (before 1885) was rid with severe conservative ideologies that placed restrictions on women from equal participation in the society. Amidst this the role played by women was largely limited.
- However a deeper analysis reveals that in spite of the restrictions some women like “Rani Laxmibai”; “Beghum Hazrat Mahal” etc. showed commendable leadership during the Revolt of 1857 that was a watershed event in the history of freedom struggle of India.
Pre Gandhian Phase [1885-1919]
- A further analysis shows that formation of Congress (1885) and various socio-religious reforms began to pave a way for the participation by the women.
- During this phase [especially extremist phase (post 1907)], many men were jailed [during Swadeshi Movement, Rowlatt Act etc.]. Women played an important role by providing a moral and emotional support during such times and managed the wellbeing of the family.
- Secondly, women like Annie Besant played a commendable role to unite the moderates and extremists and also played an important leadership role during the Home Rule League Movement.
Gandhian Phase [Post 1919]
- The Gandhian style of ‘peaceful resistance’; ‘picketing of shops’ and ‘Stayagraha’ provided a conducive opportunity for women to play a much more active role in the freedom struggle.
- It was at this time that many women leaders emerged in the roadmap to the independence of India. Sarojini Naidu (presided the Kanpur session of 1925, led the raid on Dharasana Salts during Civil Disobedience Movement) is a fine example of this.
- A deeper analysis also brings forth the important role played by the women in the revolutionary phase of freedom struggle.
- Shanti Ghosh (shot dead a reactionary British District Magistrate); Kalpana Dutt (important role in Chittagon Armoury Raid); Captain Laxmi Sehgal and the women battalion of INA etc. made commendable contributions by playing an active role in the revolutionary phase of the freedom struggle of India.
Other pointers and approach that can be used
- Women in Underground Activities
- The question can also discussed “Movement Wise” ex their role in 1857 Revolt, Swadeshi Movement, Non Cooperation, Civil Disobedience, Quit India Movement.
- In the light of the analysis done, it can be concluded that with time the role of women gradually increased and became more important.
- Our struggle for independence would have been incomplete without the participation (even if limited) of the women.