Q. Left Wing Extremism (LWE) is showing a downward trend, but still affects many parts of the country. Briefly explain the Government of India’s approach to counter the challenges posed by LWE. [Answer in 150 Words]
Downward trend in Left Wing Extremism
- Left Wing extremism (LWE) had been a chronic issue for the internal security of India. But the efforts made by the government have helped in shrinking the influence of Naxalism across the country.
- According to some figures released by Ministry of Home Affairs the number of districts affected with Naxal violence have come down from 106 to 90, across 11 states.
But in spite of this downward trend, LWE still poses multiple challenges such as ‘radicalization of youth’; hindering the development initiatives; threat to the political stability of LWE areas; etc. Hence to tackle this issue the government is following a multipronged approach which can be explained as follows.
Empowering Security Forces
- Under this approach the government has taken various measures such as approving ‘umbrella scheme for modernization of police force’; formulation of special forces – Black Panthers (Chhattisgarh) and Bastariya Batallion (by CRPF); SAMADHAN Doctrine etc.
- These measures are likely to go a long way to sufficiently empower the security forces to make them more efficient in tackling the challenge posed by LWE in terms of internal security.
- Besides this, the government of India in collaborations with the state governments of the LWE affected areas are undertaking various developmental activities to give boost to economic activities.
- The recently approved proposal for setting up 4,072 mobile towers to improvise telecom connectivity network in LWE areas is one such example.
- In addition to this, the skill development schemes like ‘ROSHNI’ will enable the youth from LWE areas to channelize their energies in right direction and be saved from radicalization by Naxalites.
- Such initiatives will not only enable the youth from LWE areas to find a livelihood but will also make them the torch bearer of social development of their respective regions.
Good Governance & Public Perception Management
- Good Governance and Public perception management go hand in hand.
- In this regard there are numerous examples of bureaucrats who have contributed tremendously in terms of good governance initiatives to build public trust towards the administration.
- ‘Choo Lo Asmaan’ a good governance initiative in the field of education by the district collector of Dantewada is one of the most notable example in this regard.
- Election awareness campaigns and peaceful conduction of elections is another good governance initiative which will help in tackling the challenge of political instability caused by the LWE.
- LWE is not an outcome of any one single cause but an outcome of multiple factor. Hence by following a multidimensional approach the government is taking the steps in the right direction.
- Various reports have identified that LWE is showing a downward trend and with continued efforts much more can be achieved.
- Though some gaps do exist in the implementation of the policies to tackle the LWE. But significant developments are taking place to plug these gaps. It is possible that India can rid itself completely from the menace of LWE.